An American Bar Association Free Public Program.
The ABA Division for Public Education has asked that the following invitation and registration link be posted:
2009 ABA Silver Gavel Awards Presentation
H. Thomas Wells Jr.
Jeffrey Toobin Staff writer for The New Yorker magazine Senior analyst for CNN Worldwide
Wednesday, July 1 5:00 – 6:30 P.M.
National Press Club, Ballroom, 13th Floor
529 14th Street, NW Washington, DC (Business attire recommended)
Register at http://www.abanet.org/publiced/gavel/presentation09.shtml. Refreshments will be served.
2009 Honorees Scheduled to Attend Include:
– Author Steven Wax and Editor Corinna Barsan, Kafka Comes to America: Fighting for Justice in the War on Terror, A Public Defender’s Inside Account, Other Press (Books)
– Columnist Regina Brett, “Open Discovery Columns,” The Plain Dealer, Cleveland (Commentary)
– Producer/Director Susanne Mason, Writ Writer, (Documentaries)
– Writer/Producer/Actor Sig Libowitz, Director Adam Rodgers, Cinematographer Richard Chisolm, Editor Steve Bell, Executive Producers Karen Rothenberg and Geoff Garinther, The Response,
Look at the Moon Productions, University of Maryland School of Law, and Venable LLP, (Drama and Literature)
– Staff Writer Karen de Sa and Investigations Editor Fredric Tulsky, “Broken Families, Broken Courts,” San Jose Mercury News (Newspapers)
– Author James Whitman, The Origins of Reasonable Doubt: Theological Roots of the Criminal Trial, Yale University Press (Books)
– Co-Producer Olivia Bueno, American Purgatory: Political Asylum in the Age of Terrorism (Radio)
For complete information on the winning entries, go to http://www.abanet.org/publiced/gavel/win09.shtml.
Silver Gavel Awards
The American Bar Association has presented Silver Gavel Awards since 1958 to recognize products in media and the arts published or presented during the preceding year that are exemplary in fostering the American public’s understanding of law and the legal system. Eligible categories include books, newspapers, magazines, commentary, documentaries, drama and literature, radio, television programs, and websites. The Silver Gavel Award is the ABA’s highest honor in recognition of this purpose and no more than one Silver Gavel is presented in each category. In addition, Honorable Mention citations may also be presented.
We gratefully acknowledge the generous support of Vinson & Elkins for the Silver Gavel Awards program.